Monday, April 18, 2005

Adobe + Macromedia Merger (Or How Hell Froze Over)

Because of stress-induced vertigo, I have spent most of Monday asleep. I woke up to check my email and a couple of my daily sites to find that indeed hell has frozen over.

Adobe has acquired Macromedia for 3.4b and most probably you're going to see all sorts of weird things happen in the following months. These two desktop publishing giants have been one of the major players in the graphics world, and it has traditionally been their rivalry that has driven both forward.

With but a few clicks you can find comments on the subject that range from "this could be the best thing ever" to "this means death to 2d graphics innovation". Some of those comments have some validity, but as somebody who has used Freehand since version 6 and Photoshop since version 3 I'm more worried that my choices for software as a consumer will be narrowed or even "forced" because of such acquisition.

It's a cold day in hell indeed.

No comments: